Monday, May 18, 2009

-3 and Counting!

My first week with the new fitness plan and I lost 3 pounds. That's a good start. That's including the fact that while I did exercise more than I have been, I still didn't exercise a lot, and it's also including the fact that I "lost" it a little bit on Friday and ate more than my 300 calories every 3 hours. However, my "binge" was still on healthy food - I didn't go out and get a Sonic Snickers Blizzard like I wanted to, so that's the good news! I'm happy.

I neglected to mention before that I'm not going to necessarily post my weight loss every week like I did when I first started this blog. You'll notice that feature is gone from the blog. With the Wii Fit, you can only put a goal for weight loss at 22 pounds at a time. So I figure that when I reach that first goal of 22 pounds lost - I'll post that, and then reset the goal on Wii Fit. That's also roughly in keeping with Weight Watchers which recommends you only set a goal of 10% of your current weight.

I've been having fun checking out the fast food websites to see what, if anything, is on their menus that is 300 calories or less. Obviously there's precious little! Even the little Jr. Deluxe Burger from Sonic that I love so much is more than 300 calories. But there are a few items. Some of the breakfast items - egg burritos for example - are around 300 calories, and you can usually find a salad with grilled chicken for 300 calories. However, that is dependent on which restaurant and how much additional "stuff" they add to the salad. For example, I love the McDonald's Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad, but because of all the extra ingredients (beans and corn and the delicious Southwest Dressing) it's way more than 300 calories. However, the Tendergrill Chicken Garden Salad at Burger King, with their packet of fat-free Ranch dressing, is exactly 300 calories - and that's typically pretty filling. I've noticed, though, with BK that they've started skimping on the salad part - it's a much smaller bowl and fewer tomatoes and carrots. But of all the fast food restaurants, I like their grilled chicken the best. Jack in the Box gets the worst scores from me for skimping on the chicken part.

I also happily discovered that a slice of pizza is anywhere from 140-196 calories, which means when we have pizza day at work this week I can at least have that one slice and added with a salad should have a very satisfying meal. As long as I can eat foods like this, even the smaller portions, at least I won't feel deprived.

I am going to start a new feature in the column to the left, sort of my own version of Hungry Girl. When I discover these little jewels of information about foods and calories, I'll post them here for everyone to access.

So who's up for a 1-slice per person pizza party?!

1 comment:

Alycia said...

ME!!! I'm all about one slice per person pizza - even when it's Sloopy's the best pizza in the world. But what do we do when the pizza is cut into squares?!?!