Monday, May 11, 2009

Back Again, Tail Tucked Between Legs

Six months! SIX MONTHS! That's how long it's been since I last posted to this blog. You can only guess what happened - I fell so far off the diet "wagon" that I couldn't face blogging about it. Of course, the point of the blog was to journal about my struggles and probably get lots of love and support from all of you out there. Over the months, most of you have mentioned the fact that I haven't been blogging and that you've missed the posts. Thank you for that! But as I've said, I was too ashamed to come on here and admit to how poorly I've done.
The holidays were a complete bust and it was continuously downhill from there. I don't know if it's medication I'm taking or what, but I just have seem to have an endless appetite - and have spent the last six months indulging myself with all of the comfort foods, desserts, candies I've wanted. I regained most of the 18 pounds I had lost and bragged about and my energy level is sapped. I ache all over, find it hard to climb the stairs to our apartment (oh yeah, since the last post we moved into a bigger apartment, but it's on the upper level - yeesh!), and huff and puffiso much when I move that I went to my doctor to have blood work and a heart stress test just to make sure I wasn't on the verge of keeling over with a heart attack. Apparently I'm "fine" in those areas - normal blood work (oh - except for the high cholesterol and tricyclerides), no blockages, etc. But feeling as "poorly" as I have, and now having additional incentive - another grandchild on the way - I'm determined to climb ever so painfully back on that wagon and get going again.
This past weekend three dear friends and I got together for a long overdue "girls" weekend away. We spent the weekend at a house in Fairfield Glade up on the Cumberland Plateau - a beautiful part of Tennessee. It rained most of the weekend, but we were there primarily to just catch up with one another, and laugh. Boy did we laugh. And we ate. BOY did we eat! All of these women are typically quite health concious and in much better shape than me, but we just had a "lost" weekend of indulging ourselves with good food, including an absolutely sinful dessert at a Mexican restaurant. I won't go into details, just suffice it to say, we really shouldn't have!
So that was my last food blowout before getting back on track. This week I'm starting a new regimen with a 3-pronged approach. In the next post I'll share what that approach will be and we'll take it from there.
Wish me luck!

No comments: