Tuesday, May 12, 2009

And So It Begins

As soon as I posted my new blog and let it be known it was out there, I've had a wonderful supportive response from friends and families. There are few people I know who don't struggle with weight issues, especially us middle-aged women! So it's encouraging to know that everyone's rooting for me, and hopefully, if I can succeed this time, it'll serve as inspiration to others.
On the one hand I can be frustrated at the years of yo-yo dieting I've done; the times I've managed to get significant weight off only to pile it back on, the eating binges I go on, all of it. But I had one of those "Aha" moments this morning. There are many times when we get false starts in life - career goals, relationships, finances, you name it - all of us at some point have had to pick up and start over. It's really a question of perseverance. It took me 10 years to write and publish my book, but I did get that done. There were times I came close to shelving the manuscript completely, but I kept at it - I had this little nagging thought in my mind that this was necessary to my life to complete this book. And once I did accomplish that, I was rewarded. Not financially, as in book sales, but through the support I received from others, from the letters and emails I got from people who were inspired or moved by the book. Just those few emails were enough to make me feel that those 10 years of effort were entirely worth it. I had achieved the goal I had set out for with that book. So why shouldn't it be any different with my efforts at weight loss? Yes, I have tried and failed before. But who's to say that I won't succeed this time? If I keep that same thought in mind, that getting to a healthy weight is necessary to my life, then I'll be more likely to persevere and eventually succeed.
That's the plan, anyway!
Personal Trainer
Besides just being uncomfortably overweight, part of the inspiration for getting back on track has been watching "The Biggest Loser." Jenn, my daughter-in-law, and I have been watching together this season as the most obese contestants they've ever had on the program have vied with each other to lose the most weight. And all of them have succeeded beyond all of their own expectations - most of them losing well over 100 lbs. in 17 weeks. Granted, the program is not fixed in reality in that these folks get taken to a ranch where they check out of their normal lives for over four months and do nothing but focus on exercise and diet. They work out every day far more than any normal human can possibly do. But yet, it is inspirational to see them get slimmer and slimmer week after week and to see their self-confidence increase.
But I was grousing to Jenn about the fact that these folks have personal trainers helping them everyday, and who can afford a personal trainer anyway? Then I "woke up" to the fact that my daughter-in-law, with whom I am living, (along with my son and grandson) has a degree in sports physiology and was a trainer with the sports teams while at David Lipscomb University. As she would sit there week after week adding her own knowledge about the body, diet and exercise while watching the program, I had yet another "Aha" moment, or maybe this one is a "Duh" moment - Jenn can be my personal trainer! She's there with me 24/7 - there would be no escaping!
After mulling it over for a few days, I broached the subject with her. I offered to pay her $1 for every pound I lose if she'll help me with a meal plan I can live and lose with and get me on an exercise program. She willingly agreed, realizing the potential for getting Chase, my son, on an exercise routine as he's developing a bit of a paunch as well!
And well she should be willing to do it - she's partially to blame for mine and Chase's weight gains. She's about 5 months pregnant and her eating habits are all over the place. She often doesn't know what she wants until a particular craving hits her, and then that craving has to be fulfilled. The cravings tend toward the carbohydrates and fat loaded foods like pizza, pasta, various fast foods, weekly barbecue from Whitt's etc. And sometimes she'll crave some kind of dessert so I'll often come home from work to find a pan full of freshly made lemon squares, chocolate chip cookies, banana bread, all kinds of yummy stuff.
The problem is that Chase and I would just eat what she wanted to eat. But....Jenn's weight gain only goes to the baby, and she in fact is losing weight in other areas and slimming down nicely! Chase and I, however, are eating like she is, and of course, gaining like crazy! It's like there's three pregnant people in the house!
So - she owes me!

No comments: