Friday, May 29, 2009

Crunchy Munchies

My challenge this week is getting the munchies - especially after 9 p.m. I've been trying, based on the advice of my trainer, not to eat after 9 p.m. I usually consume most of my 300 calories at dinner, which leaves little for a snack. But between 8 and 10 I get REAL hungry. I need to make the lo-cal jello dessert one friend gave me the recipe for, but I'm usually hungry for crunchy things - pretzels, crackers, popcorn, or dry cereal. Fortunately I'm not craving sweets, although I may get a cookie or something slightly sweetened like yogurt, especially if I've had spicy food. But it's the crunchy munchies that threaten to do me in.
Because....even if in and of themselves, small portions of any the crunchy items aren't too bad - I'm firmly in the "you can't eat just one" camp - and so I'll find myself saying "I'll have just one, or a few" and before you know it I've finished off the bag! Gotta get a plan to keep that from happening.
Last night it happened again but I rationalized it with the fact that I had "run" (actually slow jogged in place) for 15 minutes with the WiiFit. And in Weight Watchers when you exercise you earn extra points - so I figure I can justify having a snack because of the exercise I did - Sorry Jenn!
Any ideas or tips for making myself full enough on 300 calories to not get the munchies will be appreciated!
And what does anyone think about the over the counter diet aids that are supposed to suppress appetites? Years ago I used dexatrim for a while - but the caffeine in it made me REALLY hyper! Now they have caffeine-free dexatrim, but I wonder about the other ingredients and how safe they might be. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

unclesam328 said...

I don't get hungry till after dark. I guess mine is a habit of eating after everyone else when I was working food service of assorted types. Lately my craving has been for protein. A heavy diet of protein will trigger a gouty attack plus I'm going to bed with a full stomach. I'm trying to drink more water instead of my favorite "COKE". I don't do artificial sweeteners if at all possible. I'm trying to rethink my diet.